The random witterings of Jonathan Morris, writer.

Monday 29 June 2020

Talking To Ghosts

Earlier this year, I had the immense pleasure of writing a Doctor Who story for the 10th Doctor (“Tenny”), as portrayed by David Tennant, and River Song, as portrayed by Alex Kingston. The story was recorded – and, indeed, written – under “lock down”, which is only interesting insofar as it makes absolutely no difference to the finished product. The madness of April 2020 will be the stuff of legend!


My story is one of three in a box set, it’s called Ghosts, and here’s the blurb: 

River and the Doctor meet on the most haunted planet in the galaxy. The Doctor’s not sure it’s an ideal date - until they discover a mystery.

Something is wrong with the ghosts. Something might even be killing them...

And as the Doctor and River investigate, the truth of what’s happening on the planet of ghosts may prove deadly for them both.

Something is going around killing ghosts? Ooh. Sounds mysterious and spooky, I know.

As is always the case, when things are announced I go back and re-read my script because I can’t wait to listen to it and it’s the next best thing. There are some pretty cool moments in there, and some quite funny lines, which will be even better when delivered by David and Alex, with all the zhush of the sound design and music.

It’s not out until November. I don’t know how I’m going to last that long. It can be pre-ordered here.

In the meantime, I have Doctor Who Magazine keeping me busy. Please keep buying the magazine, people. If possible, subscribe. Everybody working on the magazine is busting a gut to keep it going, and is very conscious that the magazine offers its readers a few hours’ escape, distraction, and Doctor Who-related joy. Which is needed now more than ever. Small, beautiful magazines are what life is all about.

In the latest issue there’s another instalment of The Blogs of Doom, where I have lots of fun pointing out silly things in the story Blink. Yes, it may be a classic, but no Doctor Who story can withstand harsh comedic scrutiny. I hope it amuses.


Doctor Who Magazine is available from all good newsagents and online here.