The random witterings of Jonathan Morris, writer.

Friday 10 June 2011

Meet The Stars


Oh. That didn’t last long. My excuse is, busy writing for the last couple of days, and for the first two weeks I was in a recording studio, hearing one of my scripts being brought to life. What it is, I’m not at liberty to say, but I daresay it will be announced with triumphal fanfares soon enough.

Before I get back typing out the current load of nonsense – or ‘working’ as I like to call it – a quick reminder, if any be needed, that tomorrow is Big Finish Convention Day. It takes place at a school in Barking, and in attendance will be something like 60-odd Big Finish writers, producers, directors, script editors, sound designers and last but by no means least actors. I suspect we may actually outnumber the paying attendees. As I understand it there will be interview panels about the various ranges and signings (I am not important enough to be on the “AUTOGRAPHS with a Purchase” list!). They’ll also be selling stuff I expect. I’m quite looking forward to it, these things have a celebratory, reinvigorating effect on the ego.

I have mixed feelings about Doctor Who conventions. I used to find them fun when I was a teenager, just for the thrill of seeing old episodes and meeting the stars, a fun from which became a little jaded in the early 90’s, for various reasons I won’t go into here, and since then my experience of conventions has consisted of gate-crashing the disco at the calamitous 2003 Panopticon and sitting in a long, long row of Big Finish writers at a Barking event feeling like a complete impostor because I’d barely written anything at all.

But then I was invited to attend a convention last month, Utopia 2011, and I found it great fun. I was interviewed on stage with television’s Joseph Lidster, which was unexpectedly fun. I signed things for a couple of hours. And I wore my stylish new cap throughout, arousing much envious comment. And I met some old friends, and made some new friends, and that’s kind of the point of these things, isn’t it?