The random witterings of Jonathan Morris, writer.

Monday 24 August 2009

The Age Of Revolution


Plug. It’ll be the last one for a while. Out this week on download, and presumably compact disc at some point, is my Doctor Who Companion Chronicles adventure The Glorious Revolution, recorded back in March. It stars Frazer Hines as Jamie McCrimmon, companion to the second Doctor Who, Patrick Troughton, and Andrew Fettes as both the mysterious Visitor and King James VII. I’ve just downloaded it and it sounds fabulous. Irrespective of my involvement, it’s turned out incredibly well, largely down to Nigel Fairs’ post-production – brilliant music and some subtle editing for pace – and Frazer Hines’ performances as Jamie and his rightly-celebrated recreation of Patrick Troughton’s Doctor. I’m particularly proud of the scene which is Track 06 on the download/CD, which was a real ‘Wow, this is going to be amazing’ moment in the studio, and the cliff-hanger which comes at the end of Track 08.

Excitingly for me, if for no-one else, with this story I actually have a couple of ‘deleted scenes’ which were cut because the script was over-length. I shall post them here at some point; they were chosen for trimming mainly because I found they could be removed without affecting the sense of the play, and because if you find you can remove something without leaving a gap that’s a hint that maybe it shouldn’t be there.

Also, in maybe a month’s time, I’ll be sticking a signed copy of the script up on eBay to raise money for Comic Relief. If no-one wants it I’ll end up buying it for myself.

Oh, and it’s not supposed to be a sequel to The Highlanders. It’s set about sixty years earlier, for a start. But, yes, there are a few similarities, intentional and unintentional. So if you want to think it’s a sequel, that’s okay.