The random witterings of Jonathan Morris, writer.

Wednesday 10 June 2009

Beat The Clock

Apologies in advance, but this blog’s going to get a little dull over the next few weeks. I don’t know if I’ll manage to keep up the daily rate, even if I start using up my archive of ‘rainy day’ blogs. I’ve got a bit of work on, you see. I have to write about 90 minutes of script by the end of the month. That’s a lot of words.

I realise I should be intimidated or scared, but either the penny of fear has yet to drop – which is quite likely, I’m an expert at being in denial (no I’m not) - or I’m too delighted and excited to have the work to care. I like a challenge. I like having more work than I can cope with. Busy is good. Busy makes me happy.

I’m even looking forward to the deadline crisis dream, the one I’ve mentioned before, about being back at university and having an exam coming up which I could pass if only I worked really, really hard – but giving up instead. The fear there isn’t the fear of the exam, or the fear of failure. It’s the fear of giving in to my own indolence. The fear of letting myself down because I’m just too lazy to pull my finger out. It’s my subconscious giving me a kick up the arse – as if to say ‘You might not be consciously worrying about this in the ego section, but back here in the id quite frankly we’re shitting ourselves’.

I’ve got an archive of about thirty blogs (!), some of which are now hilarously out of date. I’ll try to keep on tapping away here – it is less than three hundred words, it only takes about ten minutes – but please forgive me if I don’t.